As part of your course you will receive a downloadable workbook with over 100 worksheets to help you learn job search fundamentals.
These worksheets are usually only available to for in-person workshops and institutional access, but sign-up today and you'll receive a free copy as part of your course.
6 (six!) Career Interviews with Humanities and Social Science PhDs
Complete the course and you'll get six career interviews with Humanities and Social Science PhDs.
By watching these Career Interviews, you will learn how PhDs leverage their skills and abilities in their new careers. Our interviewees share tips on how to navigate the professional job market.
Have more questions? Get access to Maren & Jen for 1:1 coaching and direct support at a discount.
(This is a special offer for course students--normally coaching is only offered to Beyond Prof Community members.)
Not sure how to start your job search, or not getting the results you want out of your current search?
Then this course is for you. If you're a Humanities or Social Science PhD ready to start exploring your career options beyond the professoriate, let us help you take the uncertainty out of your job search.
We've worked with PhDs just like you to launch successful careers in all fields--higher education administration, industry, government, and non-profits.
Humanities and Social Science grad students and PhDs.
Grad students and PhDs who are uncertain about what career paths are open to them.
Grad students and PhDs who are unsure about how to start a non-academic job search.
Job seekers who have not yet completed "Fundamentals of the Job Search." If you've already taken our main career course, you'll know much of these job search strategies already. We recommend our Beyond Prof Community if you'd like additional support.
How to identify and articulate your transferable skills and value as a Humanities and Social Science PhD.
How to leverage your education for success in careers beyond the professoriate.
And finally, how to use proven job search strategies to find your next great career.
What is included in this course?
The course includes 8 modules and over 10 hours of webinar (video) instruction to help you work through your job search.
You will also receive a workbook (PDF) that includes coaching notes from Maren and Jen and over 100 worksheets to help you learn job search fundamentals.
After the course, receive a certificate of completion that can be added to your LinkedIn profile.
How long do I have access to the course for?
60 days. The curriculum is designed for you to complete coursework in 8 weeks.
We've done this so that job seekers can continue the momentum of what they've learnt each week. We want to encourage you to get started on your job search as soon as possible!
The workbook is downloadable and yours to keep. We recommend you fill out the exercises as you complete the modules and takes notes that you can refer back to throughout your job search.
How long does it take to complete the course?
The course is self-paced. You'll receive all the course materials at once, and can proceed as fast or as slow as you'd like! (As long as you complete it within 60 days of purchase.)
We know you're busy, though, which is why we've designed the course to take place over 8 weeks across 8 modules. But you can absolutely do more than one module a week!
Each week's module takes approximately 2-3 hours to complete, depending on how long you spend completing the exercises.
What if I have questions?
We know you sometimes need 1:1 support and coaching, and we're happy to provide students of the course with personalized coaching sessions.
If you're going through the course and find you need more tailored advice, you'll be able to book a session with Maren and Jen by emailing: email@example.com.
- About this Course
- Download Your Workbook
- Before we begin...
- About Introduction to the Job Search
- Launch Your Non-Faculty Job Search with Beyond the Professoriate
- QUIZ: Launch Your Non-Faculty Job Search ... Tomorrow!
- Stages of the Job Search Process
- QUIZ: Stages of the Job Search Process
- About Explore Career Options
- How to Deal with the Emotional Aspects of Leaving Academia
- QUIZ: How to Deal with the Emotional Aspects of Leaving Academia
- How to Make Good Career Decisions after your PhD or Postdoc
- QUIZ: How to Make Good Career Decisions after your PhD or Postdoc
- About Using Assessment to Find Your Next Career
- How to Use Assessments to Find Your Next Career
- QUIZ: How to Use Assessments to Find Your Next Career
- About Identifying Transferable Skills
- How to Pitch Yourself to Employers
- QUIZ: How to Pitch Yourself to Employers
- About Writing Professional Documents
- Resumes & Cover Letters
- QUIZ: Resume & Cover Letters
- About Social Media and the Job Search
- Personal Branding & Social Media for the Job Search
- QUIZ: Personal Branding & Social Media for the Job Search
- How PhDs Can Use LinkedIn Effectively During a Job Search
- QUIZ: How PhDs Can Use LinkedIn Effectively During a Job Search
- About Networking
- How to Network for Career Success
- QUIZ: How to Network for Career Success
- Making the Most of Informational Interviews
- QUIZ: Making the Most of Informational Interviews
- About Interviewing
- How to Articulate Your Transition Story in a Non-Academic Interview
- QUIZ: How to Articulate Your Transition Story in a Non-Acacademic Interview
- How to Prepare for a Non-Academic Interview
- QUIZ: How to Prepare for a Non-Academic Interview
- Bonus: Careers for Humanities and Social Science PhDs
- Laura Stef-Praun, PhD, English, University of Chicago
- Omar Abdullah, PhD, Cultural Studies, University of California, Davis
- Silas Morgan, PhD, Theology, Loyola University Chicago
- Veronica Sepehr, PhD, Global Governance, Balsillie School of International Affairs (Wilfrid Laurier University)
- Stevie Yap, PhD, Psychology, Michigan State University
- Rachel Fleming, PhD, Anthropology, University of Colorado Boulder
- Congrats! Here's what's next...
- Before you go ...